This July my parents celebrate 40 years of marriage. I am so excited for them- and for our whole family!
I have been incredibly blessed to have parents who instilled in me a love for my family. Growing up, my parents spent time teaching my siblings and I how to get along, reminding us that, “When you’re older, we want you to be each other’s best friends, so let’s get along now!”
My parents worked hard to create special family memories for us, including trips to Disneyland in California, cabin vacations at our favorite spot in northern Wisconsin, camping and fishing trips, singing with my dad playing the guitar around the campfire in our backyard, and so much more.
My parents also thoughtfully created family traditions like Friday night movie night, Saturday morning cinnamon rolls, family devotions, the Christmas morning line-up, going to the 4th of July parade, and yes- the long, outdoor work day every Labor Day.
As a parent with three little boys of my own, I now realize that a TON of planning, effort, time and money was required of my parents to pull off all of these memories and traditions! I am incredibly grateful. And I also find myself working hard to create the same gifts of memories and traditions for my sons.
Movies are a fun part of the memories my family and I share. Correct and timely usage of a, “well-placed quote” is always a cause for a good laugh. My parents occasionally called an, “all movie quote” family dinner. The only conversation allowed was movie quotes. Oh…the hilarity and uproarious laughter that ensued!!
There are so many awesome family movies on Netflix. I especially love the ones tied to family memories for me. Here is a list of a few of those favorites. Just click the link to watch them (if you have a Netflix account!)
- The Hunt for the Red October – oh. my. goodness. sean. connery!!!! MOST QUOTED family favorite!
- The Quiet Man – St. Patty’s Day favorite! Love John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara together. MOST QUOTED family favorite!
- The Emporer’s New Groove – MOST QUOTED family favorite!! LOVE it! Never tire of watching it.
- Charade – Hitchcock mystery; Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn…again, you can’t go wrong with these stars!
- While You Were Sleeping – All-time favorite for my mom, sisters and me! Sandra Bullock is awesome in this one…
- Cheaper by the Dozen – Always loved this older flick, especially as the oldest of eight children. Myrna Loy is wonderful…
- I.Q. – Definite favorite of the whole fam; absolutely adorable! Love Walter Matthau in this one!
- The Man from Snowy River - We grew up riding my grandfather’s horses, so this was always a huge hit.
- Robin Hood- So many memories from watching this as a child. We had to rent the VHS player from the video store in those days…
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – awesome quotes, Dick Van Dyke at his best, and so much more. Love this movie!
I really could go on and on with family favorite; there are so many! What are some of your favorites tied to family memories?
Here is a list of some new titles you’ll want to check out on Netflix!
New on Netflix for Kids and Families
1. All Hail King Julien (new episodes 4/3)
2. Littlest Pet Shop: Season 3 (4/21)
3. Lalaloopsy: Festival of Sugary Sweets (5/2)
4. Puss in Boots (new episodes 5/8)
5. H20 Mermaid Adventures (5/22)
6. Richie Rich: Season 2 (5/22)
7. Mako Mermaids: Season 3 (5/29)
What have you been streaming on Netflix recently? I would love to hear from you!
Note: As part of the Netflix Stream Team I am given movie suggestions, crafts, and recipes each month, as well as a complimentary subscription. This does not affect my opinion in any way. I have enjoyed Netflix as a frugal family entertainment option for years prior to joining the Stream Team.