I am constantly looking for ways to cut back in any expense category that isn’t fixed each month. Utilities are just such a category! It’s not all that difficult to cut back.
Here are five simple, yet effective things I do to cut our utility costs each month:
- Wash all laundry on cold. This saves the energy of heating the water. When I can get it on sale with coupons, I buy detergent that is designed for use in cold water loads.
- Use the automatic dry setting on your dryer, if you have one. Over-drying your clothing wastes energy! Make sure the dryer is turned off as soon as the laundry is dry.
- Never run a partial or small load in the dishwasher or washing machine. If I’m going to go to the expense of running the dishwasher or washing machine, I make sure I’m getting my money’s worth with a full load.
- Keep the home at a moderate temperature. Keep the thermostat as high as your comfort will permit. The higher the setting, the more you’ll save!
- Keep lights off during the day, as much as possible. Let the sun provide your lighting as much as possible and keep the lights off!
What ways have you found to cut your utility costs? Share a comment!