Time for another “old house” update. If you’ve been following my house posts, you’ll know that we’ve been slowly updating a Montgomery, AL 1960’s house we purchased in October of 2013. Today I want so share my super frugal guest room update with you.
We have three bedrooms (and we have three boys!) so I had been using this room for the two older boys. They all decided they wanted to bunk together in the same room, so…wow! Now I have a guest bedroom!
Here is a true “before” picture from when we first purchased the home.
We painted the room a pretty light blue and updated the hardware and light/outlets covers right away.
These days, if you stand still in my house for too long, you just may get painted! I decided that the headboard of my guest bed needed the kind of help a little paint and distressing could provide. I had some paint left over from my distressed couch project, so I didn’t have to spend a penny on paint this time. I gave the headboard a good sanding and then two quick coats of paint.
After some distressing…
I had been wanting to get a mirror over the dresser, so I made a trip to Good Will and got this one for only $11.99. It had good bones, but looked much better once it was painted and distressed! I sanded it and then taped off the mirror before painting:
After the first coat of paint…
After the paint dried on both of these pieces I used sand paper to do the distressing. I then used some low-grade steel wool to rough it up a bit more. It even added a very slight blue hue, which I loved in my blue room!
Final touches in the room: I gathered a few things I wasn’t using well in other areas of the house: a letter “A” that had the same coloring and shimmer as the lamp, some seashells, a clock, etc. So fun! And so cheap.
Here is the final product!